Okay, so it’s not the most original name for a raven! I made this lovely bird back in 2000, and I’m quite pleased with this costume on several counts.
Like with Ashitare, I did a plastic mesh base for the mask, and concentrated on making sure I could see out of it well. The beak was paper mache, with an overlay of spackling (yup, seriously) to make it smoother. I’ve since come across better materials, but it worked very well at the time!
The mask was comfortable to wear and had good vision through the plastic mesh just in front of each eye. The beak moved nicely with my own jaw opening and closing, and the wingspan was pretty impressive!
The wings were similar to the red dragon, but my hands were hidden in a little pocket on either side. As you can see in the photos below, I was able to free my hands if needed to pick things up, or to adjust the mask. That was a useful feature! The primary feathers were made from stiffened felt, with the smaller feathers made from standard black felt. I gripped a dowel in each hand that ran the length of the wings so I could spread or fold them in a fairly natural manner.
Getting photos of an all-black costume also turned out to be a bit of a challenge. Sorry about that!